Hiking Schladminger Tauern High Trail, Austria
The Schladminger Tauern High Trail (Höhenweg in German) is an epic multi-day hike in the Austrian Alps. The trail runs along the summits and ridgelines of the Schladminger Tauern mountains and drops into idyllic valleys and alpine cirques. It’s a challenging hike that rewards you with panoramic views of alpine lakes, near and far mountains, picturesque meadows-capes, and cascading waterfalls. This hut-to-hut hike in Styria (Steiermark in German) is typically completed in 5, or 7 days. If you want to experience the region, but don’t want to commit to 5+ days, you can easily shorten the hike. During the trek, you’ll stay in charming mountain huts in either a lager (dormitory-style room) or a private room. Each hut serves hearty Austrian cuisine for lunch and dinner as well as a simple buffet breakfast.
Schladminger Tauern Höhenweg 5 Stage Tour (45 km)
- Day 1: Hochwurzen – Giglachseen – Ignaz-Mattis Hütte or Giglachseehütte (6.5 hours, 11.3 km)
- Day 2: Giglachseen – Keinprechtshütte (4 hours, 5.9 km)
- Day 3: Keinprechtshütte – Gollinghütte (6 hours, 9.1 km)
- Day 4: Gollinghütte – Preintalerhütte (6 hours, 7.7 km)
- Day 5: Preintalerhütte – Planai Bergstation Gondelbahn (7 hours, 11.3 km)