Adolf Munkel Trail
The Adolf Munkel Trail in Villnöß (Val di Funes) is an easy loop trail that takes you to the foot of the Geisler (Odle) Peaks in the Dolomites. The trail begins at the Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) parking lot. Note: there’s a 5 EUR parking fee. From Zanser Alm, the trail slowly ascends along a small stream with views of the Geisler Group. You’ll quickly understand why the Dolomites are called the Pale Mountains.
After hiking beneath these impressive peaks, the trail leads you to a high alpine pasture. Cows, donkeys and horses might greet you as you hike to the mountain hut Gschnagenhardt Alm (Malga Casnago), elevation 2,006 meters. Here, you can relax outside, order lunch, drink a beer, and interact with the animals. From Gschnagenhardt Alm, you’ll hike through forest and end up at Dusler Alm (Malga Dusler), where you’ll find another mountain hut. After passing through Dusler Alm, the trail descends to Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes).
Plan your trip: 8 Day Dolomites Itinerary
Adolf Munkel Trail Map
Adolf Munkel Hike Summary
Trail Name: Adolf Munkel Trail
Trail Numbers: 6, 35, 36
Nature Park: Naturpark Puez Geisler (Parco Naturale Puez Odle)
Italian Province: South Tyrol. Autonome Provinz Bozen – Südtirol (Provincia Autonoma di Bolzano – Alto Adige)
Starting Point: Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) parking lot
Ending Point: Zanser Alm (Malga Zannes) parking lot
Points of Interest: Geisler (Odle) Peaks, Gschnagenhardt Alm (mountain hut), Dusler Alm (mountain hut)
Parking: 5 EUR
Hiking Time: 3 – 3.5 hrs
Distance: 8.8 km
Experience Level: Beginner
- Take trail no. 6 towards Tschantschenon (Ciancenon) until you reach the bridge.
- Cross the bridge and follow the Adolf Munkel Trail no. 35.
- Take trail no. 36 to Gschnagenhardt Alm (Malga Casnago) and Geisleralm (Rifugio delle Odle). We recommend eating at Gschnagenhardt Alm.
- Continuing hiking trail no. 36 to Dusleralm (Malga Dusler). You’ll find another lovely mountain hut here offering refreshments and meals.
- Walk through Dusleralm and continue your descent in the direction of Zans (Zannes).
- When you reach the road, you’re about 10-15 minutes away from the parking area.
Continue Reading about the Dolomites