Tierser Alpl Schutzhaus (Rifugio Alpe di Tires) is a one-of-a-kind mountain refuge located in the Naturpark Schlern – Rosengarten (Sciliar – Catinaccio Natural Park) in the Dolomites. This hike takes you through the high alpine plateau Seiser Alm, to the mountain ridge Rosszähne (Denti di Terrarossa), and over the summit to the red-roofed Tierser Alpl hut.
Seiser Alm to Tierser Alpl Trail Map
Seiser Alm to Tierser Alpl Hike Summary
Trail Name/Numbers: 7, 2
Nature Park: Naturpark Schlern – Rosengarten (Sciliar – Catinaccio Natural Park)
Italian Province: South Tyrol
Starting Point: Compatsch (Compaccio), elevation 1,850 meters
Ending Point: Tierser Alpl Schutzhaus
Points of Interest: Seiser Alm (Alpe di Siusi), Rosszähne (Denti di Terrarossa)
Parking: Seis Am Schlern (Siusi Allo Sciliar), free and paid parking available
Hiking Time: 3 – 3.5 hrs (one-way). Note: trail signs say it takes 2.5 hrs, but it took us a bit longer.
Distance: 7.21 km
Experience Level: Intermediate. The last stretch of the hike is very steep.
Adolf Munkel Trail Directions
- Take the Alpe di Siusi Aerial Cableway (Seiser Alm Bahn/Cabinovia Alpe di Siusi) from Seis Am Schlern (Siusi Allo Sciliar) to Seiser Alm (Alpe di Siusi), Compatsch (Compaccio)
- Follow path no. 7 to Hotel Panorama
- From Hotel Panorama, take trail no. 2 to Rosszähne (Denti di Terrarossa), 2,657 meters. The trail ascends very slowly, until you approach the Rosszähne ridge. This steep switchback section is the most challenging part of the hike.
- From the summit, turn right and follow the path until you see the hut (10 minutes).
Read Next: 8 Day Dolomites Itinerary
Day Hike or Overnight?
While it’s possible to hike to the hut and back from Seiser Alm in one day, we highly recommend staying the night in Tierser Alpl. Why? Once you arrive, you simply won’t want to leave. The natural beauty that envelops this remote hut is astounding. Beyond the beauty of the surroundings, the hut offers excellent Tyrolean food, service, and accommodation spaces. This family-owned mountain refuge was renovated in 2015, resulting in an enviable modern interior. The light-filled dining space was designed so that you can see the mountains from inside.
The best reward, aside from arriving after climbing over a mountain, is the cuisine that awaits you. All food is prepared in the hut. They source their ingredients from nearby farms and the surrounding area. Breakfast is included in the accommodation price. For dinner, you can choose between a three-course “Halbpension Karte” menu, or order a la carte. Everything we sampled was delicious.
Tierser Alpl Schutzhaus
Elevation: 2,440 meters
Rooms: They offer both dormitory-style (for 8, 10, or 12 persons) and private rooms (for 2, 3, 4, or 6 persons).
Showers: Hot showers are available for a small fee.
Reservation: Necessary. Book at least 3-5 months in advance.
- Seiser Alm Website – summer trail map, hiking ideas, accommodation search. If you’re interested in finding other mountain huts in the area, navigate to Hotel & Accommodations, scroll down to the Refine Your Search section and click Mountain Refuges under Accommodation Types.
- Tierser Alpl Website – opening times, history, how to arrive
Continue Reading about the Dolomites: